Monday, December 25, 2017

Compassion Ombre Shawl - Cast On

Yesterday I finished caking up all of my Unique Sheep Bright & Bold Advent Calendar skeins and have cast on projects with them.  The first project I cast on is the Starburst Shawl.  I am using the Ombre set and a skein of gray.  The pattern calls for 5 mini skeins of greater yardage than I have (105 yds / 28 g).  I have 6 mini skeins of 87 yds / 20 g.  So, even though I have 6 skeins I still have less total yardage in my contrast color than the pattern calls for.  The pattern also calls for using each of the contrast skeins in each of the open knotwork blocks, but that means a lot of changing of colors, and I would have to modify the pattern to use 6 colors instead of 5.  I did actually work up that variation, but until I started knitting I wouldn't know how the yardage would work out so I decided to go an easier route.  I'll use one contrast color at a time in the open knotwork blocks, switching to the next color as they run out.  I can adjust how many blocks I do and how many rows I do in a block to accommodate my yardage and also use up as much of my yarn as possible.


Pattern:  Starburst by Emily Wood
Yarn:  The Unique Sheep Bright & Bold Advent Calendar 2017
Needles:  US 5 (3.75 mm)

No comments:

Post a Comment