Sunday, October 15, 2017

Gazania Shrug - Cast On

This summer I gave away the three shrugs that I had made.  Two of them I had made as gifts, but I wasn't really planning on giving my sister Liz my Gazania Shrug, which was the first one that I had made.  I'm glad I did, though, because it took forever to get a replacement set to make another one.  The first two sets (original order and replacement sent by Biscotte) never made it.  In the end I ordered another set along with several other Paintbox sets, figuring that maybe a larger package would have a lower chance of being lost on the way.  Of course once I had finished the central panel of my Charivari Shrug I had to cast on another one to put in my work bag.

Pattern:  Traveling Zebra Shrug by Carolyn Blakelock
Yarn:  Biscotte & Cie Bis-sock
Needles:  US 2.5 (3 mm) and US 4 (3.5 mm)

Charivari Shrug - Central Strip Done

It has been a while since I posted.  I've been busy with a test knit, but I got that all wrapped up last weekend.  I'm quite pleased with the tech edit that I did on the pattern.  I've been working on my Charivari Shrug.  I had the central panel in my work bag so I have been working on it here and there and also at home when I wanted something mindless to work on.  I'm almost done with the first stripe.  I have all the skeins caked up.

Pattern:  Traveling Zebra Shrug by Carolyn Blakelock
Yarn:  Biscotte & Cie Bis-sock
Needles:  US 2.5 (3 mm) and US 4 (3.5 mm)

Saturday, September 23, 2017

Goldwing in Green - Over Half-way

I started the second skein this week and am working the decrease part of the pattern now.  I did one repeat with no increases or decreases before beginning the decreases.  I am working this skein from the inside, which is the dark green.  I do like the subtle change of the color from light to dark and back again.  This is the first time I've used this yarn and I'm very curious how it will block.  The yarn is dyed, I believe, by knitting a blank and painting it in order to get the gradual color change.  Then it gets caked up.  The yarn is still a little kinky and the fiber feels a little compressed, I'm hoping it will bloom a little when I block it.

Pattern:  Goldwing by Ambah O'Brien
Yarn:  Canon Hand Dyes William Merino Gradient in Emeralds
Needle:  US 4 (3.5 mm)

Twinkle, Twinkle Shrug - Finished!

I finished this up last Sunday, but it took several days to dry, and then I had to wait until this weekend to get some decent pictures.  I have already started a Charivari Shrug, but haven't gotten very far on the central panel yet.  I really need to finish up some WIPs, and also finish my current test knit.
I thought about using up the remains of the skeins working the short rows, like I did on my first two shrugs, but in the end just didn't feel like dealing with it.  I may use the remains to make some kind of modular knit thing, maybe a scarf, or something.

Pattern:  Traveling Zebra Shrug by Carolyn Blakelock
Yarn:  Biscotte & Cie Bis-sock
Needles:  US 2.5 (3 mm) and US 4 (3.5 mm)

Saturday, September 16, 2017

Twinkle, Twinkle Shrug - Side Two, Two Stripes Done

I ended up spending a fair bit of time working on my shrug this week - home for two days with something, not sure what - head cold or totally freaked out allergic reaction - reading and knitting.  I also finished a book in two days, something I haven't done in a long time.  In high school I routinely read a book every day or so.  I also spent a lot of time prepping and cleaning up the pattern for my latest test/sample knit - The Unique Sheep's Annual Christmas Club.

The other great news is that Biscotte has finally released the shrug pattern!  They have named it The Cupcake Shrug.

Pattern:  Traveling Zebra Shrug by Carolyn Blakelock
Yarn:  Biscotte & Cie Bis-sock
Needles:  US 2.5 (3 mm) and US 4 (3.5 mm)

Sunday, September 10, 2017

Goldwing in Green - Making Progress

The shrugs are such easy mindless knitting that it is easy for me to just lose myself in them, but I decided that I really needed to work on some of my other WIPs, so this past week I picked this one back up, using it for my TV watching knitting, and reserving the shrug for knitting while reading.  This was going to be my third Camp Loopy project, but my test knit took precedence, so that didn't happen.  It is definitely looking more wing-like, and the green is gradually getting darker as I get closer to the end of the cake.  The pattern is actually pretty boring, and I have found myself a couple of times forgetting the increase stitch that increases the depth of the center section.  Fortunately I've caught it pretty quickly when I do it, and I'm trying to be a bit more mindful of it.

Pattern:  Goldwing by Ambah O'Brien
Yarn:  Canon Hand Dyes William Merino Gradient in Emeralds
Needle:  US 4 (3.5 mm)

Twinkle, Twinkle Shrug - One Side Done

It didn't take me long to finish the rest of the first side, although I did take a break from this project to work on one of my other WIPs.  I have also done the pickup on the other side, and started another center panel for another shrug - this time another Charivari shrug.  On my first two shrugs - my Gazania Shrug that I gave to my sister Liz and the Watermelon Shrug that I made for Carol I used up all of my yarn by working short rows in garter stitch before joining.  I've been looking at those projects and thinking about resurrecting that practice.  When I made the Charivari Shrug for my sister Virginia I was using it to finalize the pattern and didn't want to do any of those kinds of improvisations, but I do like the look and it uses up all of the yarn.  It may even make them sit a little better when they are worn.

Pattern:  Traveling Zebra Shrug by Carolyn Blakelock
Yarn:  Biscotte & Cie Bis-sock
Needles:  US 2.5 (3 mm) and US 4 (3.5 mm)