Saturday, December 3, 2016

Liquid Gold Sinua - One Sleeve Done!

Once I finished up my Margaret Beaufort I picked up my Liquid Gold Sinua again and finished up the sleeve.  This is actually the second start on a sleeve.  I had started working the sleeve on the other armhole using the remains of the skein that I had been working the bodice with - the skein I didn't continue with when I joined the body at the underarm, and had actually worked through the end of that skein, but I had picked up more stitches around the armhole and I wasn't sure I liked how it lay when I tried it on.  So I picked up stitches around the other armhole using my old standby method of picking up a stitch for every other row and knit that one to completion.  That pickup gave me 68 stitches to start with.  I increased 1 stitch at the shoulder seam on the second row of the stitch pattern as I was working the short rows, and then picked up an extra stitch on each side of the underam seam to close up any pesky little holes that sometimes happen down there.  That gave me 71 stitches, which is what the pattern actually called for.  I started the decreases when I reached the elbow, and worked 6 sets of decreases every 10 rows.  I ended up working 5 full repeats of the pattern chart - the part that you repeat, which I liked because I ended the sleeve on the end of the repeat.  I did an I-cord bind off, and looked up how to graft my end to my beginning.  Actually super easy and pretty intuitive, once you think about it.  One skein of yarn was perfect for the sleeve, I even have some leftover.
I cut the yarn on the remains of the skein on the other side, and wove in the end, and have picked up stitches with a fresh skein, now that I know I can work the whole sleeve with a single skein.


Pattern:  Sinua by Susanna IC
Yarn:  madelinetosh DK in Liquid Gold
Needle:  US 6 (4 mm)

No comments:

Post a Comment