Saturday, March 16, 2013

Treasure Island Lace Cape - Clue 1 Done!

The first clue came out yesterday and I wasn't sure I was going to start it, but there was someone on Ravelry worried about the circular cast on so I came up with a scheme for starting it flat and then joining it after you've got enough to work it on a circular needled.  For those who are curious, add an extra stitch at the beginning and end of your row, so cast on 18 stitches instead of 16, and begin with a k1, end with a k2.  Around row 10 or 11 there should be enough stitches to join on a 16 inch circular, just do a central double decrease and sew up the seam later with the tail from the cast on.

I even thought of working my shawl that way because I am not crazy about doing a circular cast on, but I also don't wear circular shawls.  I do, however, love capes.  I used to wear a full length gray wool cape, and I still pull it out on occasion, so I decided to turn this one into a cape.  I started on row 11 of the chart, just before the lace patterning began.  I used a garter stitch tab and was delighted to discover that it is exactly the right length to go around my neck.  I will be using up every bit of yarn of every skein to minimize the risk that I'll run out, but if I do, I'm sure that I will figure something out.

Pattern:  Treasure Island by Janine le Cras
Yarn:  The Unique Sheep Luxe in Tranquility
Needle: US 4 (3.5 mm)

2 comments:

  1. I think your idea of making a cape instead of a circular shawl is great! Since dpn and I are not the best of friends, your suggestion is a life saver for me and I will use your method for my shawl, I mean cape! :-D

    ReplyDelete