Thursday, March 14, 2013

Ferris Wheel - One Block Done!

I feel sort of like I should have a drum roll or something.  Here I am working on the March 2013 Unique Sheep Crochet Block of the Month and it is March of 2013.  This is Ferris Wheel, by Donna Kay Lacey.  The yarn is Verve in Coal and Earth.  Still using my trusty 2.75 mm hook.

So this morning I click on my Google Reader tab to catch up on the blogs I follow and a pop-up window appears telling me that Google Reader is going away, I think the date was June or July 1 of 2013 (it was kind of early in the morning, so I'm not sure which), and there is a button on the pop-up that says "Okay".  And the only way I can make that pop-up window disappear and read my blogs is by pressing that button that says "Okay".  But it is not "Okay".  Not at all.

Here's a piece of trivia for you, do you know why we usually put the punctuation inside of the quotation marks?  Because in the good old days of type-setting, the punctuation was usually a pretty small block and it had a tendency to fall out of the tray or fall over, but the quotation marks would hold them in place.  Ah, the things one can find out on the internet.

So now I have to figure out what I am going to use to read my blogs.  I am trying out Feedly, but don't really like it.  I'm an engineer and I like the simplicity of the Google Reader interface.  I don't need fancy layouts and pretty pictures, and only displaying the ones that have new posts.  I don't even know if Feedly will translate my foreign blogs for me.  What is going on with Google?  First they get rid of the iGoogle page, now they are getting rid of the Reader?  What's next?  What is the world coming to?  Sigh.

Post Script - 17 March 2013.  It has been pointed out to me by Margaret MacInnis that this crochet block pattern is actually from a vintage pattern - Cathedral Window Tablecloth by Cecilia Vanek.  Just wanted to make sure that credit went where it was due.


No comments:

Post a Comment