Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Berry Bloom - Beauty Shot

Here they are, all done blocking.  Now I am all ready for the May blocks.

Pattern:  Berry Bloom by Donna Kay Lacey, April 2013 Unique Sheep Crochet Block of the Month
Yarn: Unique Sheep Tinsel Toes in Beech and Sugar Maple
Hook:  2.75 mm

I've been thinking about what to do with the optional clue on my Treasure Island Cape.  Part of my reason for waiting was that I wanted to see what the clue looked like knitted up.  When I saw the clue I just wasn't sure that it was really going to go with the rest of the lace work, it just didn't seem like it was going to flow properly.  The thing that I was most concerned about was how the motifs of the optional clue would line up with the motifs of clue 6.  I've mentioned it before, but I am incapable of knitting asymmetrical designs.  There has to be a symmetry there, somewhere, and I can't see one with this optional clue.  So, last night I decided to make my own optional clue.

The first thing that I did was replicate clue 6 in my Knit Visualizer software, and then I started extending the lace motifs from clue 6 into my optional clue.  I completed the chart for my variant this morning, but it uses more yarn (54 grams) than either the optional clue (30 grams), or my initial variant on the optional clue (41 grams).  The good news is that I can cut several rows from my variation without ruining the pattern if I am going to run short of yarn, so I can safely start knitting.  One of things that I did in my variant was replicate the beaded medallions from clue 6, unfortunately that will use more beads than I have for this shawl and I don't have more of that color in my enormous bead stash.  Fortunately I have some other beads that will work and that I think will look better with the colors of my later skeins than the ones that came with my yarn.

No comments:

Post a Comment