Saturday, November 18, 2023

Ramea - Right Front Sleeve Done!

The construction of Ramea is quite interesting, a trademark of Jennifer Beale.  It is constructed sideways starting with the right sleeve, beginning with a provisional cast on.  I used Judy Becker’s magic figure 8 cast on, which is the same one that I use for toe up socks.  You then start working on one of the needles, knitting across and then casting on steek stitches and joining in the round for the colorwork panel.  After the colorwork panel is completed you bind off the steek stitches, reinforce the steek, and cut it.  From there you continue in stockinette using short rows to shape the raglan for the shoulders.

My only slight confusion was on the short row shaping, when it stated to work to 3 stitches from the end I wasn’t sure if I was supposed to work that stitch (so there would be 2 stitches left) or not.  Similarly when it said to work to 1 stitch (or 4 stitches) before the double stitch.  After reading ahead I decided that I needed to work that stitch, otherwise the short row shaping would extend too far into the sleeve.  I have started working the back of the right sleeve.  That part of the knitting will include the underarm portion of the sleeve.  Then I will graft the sleeve stitches together and work another colorwork band for the body.  I’m thinking about going ahead and doing the finishing work on the sleeve edge after I do the grafting, just to get it done and also to see how it will look.

Pattern:  Ramea by Jennifer Beale
Yarn: Karabella Aurora 4
Needles:  US 1 (2.25 mm), US 1.5 (2.5 mm), US 2.5 (3.0 mm)

No comments:

Post a Comment