Wednesday, May 25, 2022

Elora - One color done

With Midnight Rose finished I grabbed the next WIP in my pile:  Elora by Linda Marveng.  I have been admiring (and buying) her patterns for a while now, but this is the first one that I have knitted.  I swatched for the pattern on January 26, 2019.  I finally cast on January 16, 2022.  Then the project was set aside while I worked some other things.  Since the swatching I have completed 95 other projects.  Since I cast on I have completed 9 other projects.  I am a strangely serial polygamous knitter.  I get a lot of projects on the needles, and then I start focusing on a single one.  Sometimes projects languish until I get them past a certain point and then I just want to see them finished.  Sometimes I just get bored or am no longer quite happy with how it is turning out and don’t know how I want to deal with it.  I currently have 19 WIPs, including this one.  The oldest is from 2010.  Besides this one, there are three others that I am actively working and they are all blankets:  Perseverance, Hearthside and the Seascair Blanket.  The first two are Mystery projects that I can only work when I get the clues and the yarn, and the third is my mindless work project.

For this pattern I am using an Ombré fade from The Unique Sheep.

I am working the body in one piece and am starting with the darkest skein, working until I use each one up and then joining the next.  I did not work any transition rows between my first color (skein 12) and the next (skein 11).  I am trusting the patterning to help break up the line that would otherwise appear if I were working straight stockinette.  When I get to the armholes I will have to divide up the balls and will go have to look at the math to determine the proportions.  I will then work the sleeves top down set in - picking up stitches around the armholes.  I will divide the balls in half for that, continuing working to the lighter colors - so the sleeves will continue the progression.  I had thought about making everything match vertically and decided I didn’t want to go through the hassle of that - even though I did put together a stitch count spreadsheet so I could.  I think that I will end up with a more visually interesting result doing it this way.

Pattern:  Elora by Linda Marveng
Yarn:  The Unique Sheep Kiri in Brick & Clay Ombré 
Needle:  US 2.5 (3 mm)

No comments:

Post a Comment