Sunday, January 15, 2012

Three Quarter Time Shawl - Finished

I set this shawl aside when I was over half-way through the last clue to finish up some of my easier projects that had been sitting around for too long waiting to be finished, but yesterday I picked it back up again.  As I mentioned in a previous post, I did not do any transition rows when I started the next skein in the gradiance colorway, I simply made sure that I picked up the new skein in a spot that matched the current skein.  I am very pleased with the results, and love the fact that I didn't have to deal with two skeins at a time.  Working the color changes this way also means that I have almost nothing left of skeins 1 and 2, and a fair bit left of skein 3, but at least I don't have to worry about when to make transitions, or running short of yarn later.

Blocking the shawl was not as hard as I thought it would be, although I did not block it out exactly as shown in the pattern photos.  I knit my shawl on size 3 needles rather than size 5 (I just cannot bring myself to knit lace with size 5 needles, it just doesn't feel right to me) and so my shawl is smaller than it would otherwise be (I knitted a medium according to the pattern) and I think that this affected how the border blocked out.  First I laid the shawl out as much as I could, stretching it into place by hand.  Then I started with the neck edge, pulling it out and into place by hand, just following the natural curve of the knitting and pinning about every inch.  After that was done I started on the edging.  Beginning at the bottom center I pinned out every third blossom, pulling the center petal first, then the two side petals.  I worked from the bottom center up each side.  I then went back and pulled out the two blossoms in between, again working from the bottom center up each side.

No comments:

Post a Comment