Saturday, January 28, 2012

Lorna Suzanne Cardigan - Two Sleeves and the Beginning of a Body

The other thing that I wanted to get done this week was finish the second sleeve for my Lorna Suzanne Cardigan and start the body.  I actually started the body sometime in the past week but I just finished the last 10 rows of the second sleeve this morning.  I knit my swatch on size 7 (4.5 mm) needles, but when I knit the sleeves they came out with a tighter gauge (as is often the case when knitting in the round).  In fact, the first part of the sleeve that I knit on 12 inch circular needles came out with almost 20 stitches per 4 inches (my gauge swatch has 18 stitches per 4 inches) and the part of the sleeve that I knit on 16 inch circular needles came out at 19 stitches per 4 inches, which is actually the gauge called for in the pattern.  So when I cast on for the body I went down a needle size and used size 5 (3.75 mm) needles for the garter stitch border, and size 6 (4 mm) needles for the stockinette stitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment