Sunday, January 28, 2024

Joy to the World - Dragons - Cast On!

As I was getting close to starting the edging on my Smaug Shawl I grabbed the rest of this 2018 Advent set, a 12 skein set called Dragon.  The skeins go from 1 to 12 from left to right, with 1 to 6 on the bottom row and 7 to 12 on the top row.  Given the variety of color I had already decided to make another Joy to the World shawl. 
This is the one that I made back in 2021.  It was an Advent set from Biscotte & Cie.  I had made a mistake when I was knitting it, knitting 10 rows of each of the mini skeins, but I liked how it had come out and decided to do it again with this set.  I have worn this shawl several times and it really is a joy to wear.  It sits nicely on the shoulders and is a nice size.  So, I went in search of a color to use as the center of the main triangles and border.  Given the variety of colors in my mini skeins I knew I wanted something on the neutral side, fortunately I had some neutral skeins of Unique Sheep Kiri in my stash.  The full sized skein is the darkest of a neutral trio that I picked up at some point.  The other thing that I had to figure out was the number of rows to work with my mini skeins.  My original Joy to the World had 10 mini skeins of 25 grams each, but for this one I have 12 mini skeins of 20 grams each.  Based on my yarn usage I knew that I could not get 10 rows out of each mini skein and still work the design as I wanted, so I decided that I will work 8 rows.  This will give my 96 rows total for the mini skein section, instead of 100 rows, so I will work 4 extra rows of the starting triangle.  Based on my yarn usage numbers it should all work out.
And here is the start of my first triangle.

Pattern:  Joy to the World by Louise Robert, modified
Yarn:  The Unique Sheep 4 Ply SW Merino Fingering and Kiri
Needle:  US 3 (3.25 mm)


No comments:

Post a Comment