Saturday, January 20, 2024

Indivisible MCAL - Loop On!

Expression Fiber Arts is doing another year long Mystery Crochet Along and I signed up, even though I have lots of other projects going and planned for the year, I just really enjoy these.  This time we can make a blanket or a shrug.  I haven’t decided yet which one I will do, but I am leaning towards the shrug.  They have three different colorways this year and I went for the jewel tones.  The first color is Mountain Stream and I really love it, it looked great sitting next to the yellows in my Smaug shawl.  The yarn is Crema Worsted, which is 70% Merino, 30% Silk, and it is very lovely to work with.

This square took me several tries to get right.  I started out on a 4.0 mm (G) hook, but that was coming out a fair bit smaller than the pattern called for, so I went up to a 5.0 mm (H) hook.  My square is still a little smaller than the pattern calls for (14 inch instead of 14.5 inch) but I would not want to work it any looser.  I had originally done the Foundation Double Crochet as recommended in the pattern, but didn’t really like how it looked, so when I went up a hook size I did a chain and double crocheted in to it.  The pattern also called out a Chainless Starting Double Crochet, which I managed to work, but didn’t really like it either so I went back to just chaining at the start of the rows.  The pattern also had some chains at the beginning of the rows that were not counted as a stitch, which made for some asymmetry and some bulgy edges, so that required another rip back when I decided to omit those.  But all of that ripping (really just three restarts) was worth it as I am very happy with how it has turned out.  The pattern came with a chart, which I used.  I love charts, so much easier for my brain to wrap around than written instructions.

Pattern:  Indivisible by Johanna Huck
Yarn:  Expression Fiber Arts Crema Worsted
Hook:  5.0 mm (H)

No comments:

Post a Comment