Saturday, February 27, 2021

Spirits of the Season - Cast On

 

Continuing my tradition of working past Advent Kits, this is the 2019 Craftvent kit from Jimmy Beans Wool.  I cast this on last Saturday as well.  Even though I get these advent kits, I don’t always abide by the open daily rule, especially if I’m not going to be working it during the intended month.  This was the first year that Jimmy Beans used the tins with magnetic bottoms on the steel plate.

I opened all of the tins and pulled out the goodies and put them into my Namaste Maker’s case.  When I discovered the mohair main color, I hunted down all of those mini-skeins and put them in a plastic bag for disposal.  I do not do mohair.  I then found another gray skein to use for the main color - a skein of Sunshine Yarns Classic Sock in Edwards Volvo.  Even though I have the pattern in electronic form and even set it up in knitCompanion I am knitting this one from the cards.  Sometimes old school is better.
Here is my progress to date.  I am currently working Day 12.  The contrast colors so far:

CC1 - Spun Right Round Merino Singles - Belly Flop
CC2 - the periwinkle sheep merino single - You Are Loved
CC3 - Hedgehog Fibres Sock - Birthday Cake
CC4 - madelinetosh Tosh Sock - Hosta Blue

I did not have a slip of paper with CC1 to tell me what the color was, only the information on the card in the tin, which at least identified the yarn.  I pulled the color name from the project page of another knitter.  Once I finish up with my four knit rows I’ll be starting on CC4.  I am weaving my ends in as I go, and carrying the main color up the side rather than cutting it.

Pattern:  Spirits of the Season by Amy Gunderson
Yarn:  Various fingering weight
Needle:  US 6 (4 mm)


No comments:

Post a Comment