Thursday, November 16, 2017

Turkey Trot Kallara - Skein 1 Done

This set was intended for the Of the Forest, but I decided to do something else with it.  My first thought was to make Kallara with it, using the solid color as the main color, and the gradiance skeins for the contrast color, but after creating a stitch count spreadsheet, and caking and weighing all the skeins I determined that I didn't have enough of the solid color.  I used my yarn usage figures from Myndie to make my estimate.  I thought about using one of the skeins from the gradiance to make up the difference, but even using the heaviest skein (skein 6) I was still short.  I did the math to try to use skein 6 and part of skein 5 to make up the difference and even started knitting it that way, but after about 20 rows I decided it would look better if I did it as a color block shawl instead of a striped shawl, so I ripped back and started over.  I went back to my spreadsheet and looked at how many stitches I should be able to work with the gradiance set, took the remainder and divided it in two.  I'll start and end the shawl with the solid skein, and work the gradiance in the middle.
Here is the first skein done.  Isn't it lovely?  One of the fun things about this design is that it is a basic shawl, which makes it a great canvas for playing with color.

Pattern:  Kallara by Ambah O'Brien
Yarn:  The Unique Sheep Rare Breed in Turkey Trot gradiance and Cladonia
Needles:  US 5 ( 3.75 mm)

No comments:

Post a Comment