Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Arctic Flow Capelet - One Repeat Done

Sometimes I get a bee in my bonnet and decide that there is a yarn in my stash that I just have to make something with.  Last week it was this set of yarn from The Unique Sheep.
The colorway is Artic Flow, the yarn is Super Wool Aran.  As a rule I am not much of a fan of heavier weight yarns, preferring fingering weight and lace, but I wanted to try some of the heavier weight yarns that The Unique Sheep has to offer.  This particular set was the winter offering of The Unique Sheep's Four Seasons of Lace club.  The pattern really didn't appeal to me, but I did want to make something with the yarn, and I enjoy the challenge of finding the right pattern for a given yarn, when I only have a limited amount.

At first I though that I would make the Circle Vest pattern from the book Silk Knits, which I happen to have in my library.  I even cast on this past weekend and knit a few rounds.  The construction is intriguing, but I think the pattern needs some refining.  To determine where you place the slits for the arm holes you work until the radius is half the distance across your back, but the placement of the arm slits is such that the diameter is not the correct measurement.  The line between the slits is a chord of the circle formed by the knitting, not the diameter.  I also was not sure that the pattern would use as much of my yarn as I wanted.  So I frogged and decided to cast on another capelet.

I really like my Raspberry Blaze Capelet that I made as part of Camp Loopy 2016.  The color is amazing and the pattern was fun and easy.  I've been wanting to make more capelets because they are fun and easy to wear, so I decided to cast one one with this yarn.

Yesterday I decided to come home early from work - it was a miserable day, gray and rainy, and my brain really didn't want to work.  I finished up some fairly mindless detail work and left after a half day.  It made voting much easier, and I made us hot chocolate when we got back to the house and I knitted while we watched a movie.  I made it through the first repeat and part of the second.  I should have enough yarn to do two repeats, with enough left over for the bind off without playing yarn chicken.

Pattern:  Ocean Blue Collar by Eline Oftedal, modified to be a capelet
Yarn:  The Unique Sheep Super Wool Aran in Arctic Flow
Needle:  US 9 (5.5 mm)

No comments:

Post a Comment