Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Arctic Flow Capelet - Take Two, One Skein Done

I had been working away on my Arctic Flow Capelet, getting towards the end of the second repeat of the chart when I could not longer deny the truth staring me in the face - it was going to be too big.  The number of stitches on my needle was verging upon the unmanageable.  I decided to confirm my conclusion by putting the stitches onto some waste yarn so I could lay it out and really assess the situation and determine a way forward.  I had barely gotten the stitches onto the waste yarn before I had decided that I was going to frog and start again.  Before I did that, however, I looked at the current size and determined how many repeats of the motif I really needed.  I settled on 6, which meant a cast on of 72 stitches, instead of the 108 called for in the original pattern.  I did take advantage of my previous work to calculate my yarn usage and put together a spreadsheet.  Based upon my yarn usage figures I could just do 3 repeats of the chart - the same as I did on my Raspberry Blaze Capelet - so long as I didn't want to cast on and bind off.  I went back to my stash and pulled out this skein of the same yarn base, figuring I could do a contrast I-cord cast on and bind off.
So now I've made it back through the first skein of the Arctic Flow gradiance and through the first repeat of the chart, with a little yarn to spare and I'm feeling much better about how this one is going to turn out.

Pattern:  Ocean Blue Collar by Eline Oftedal, modified to be a capelet
Yarn:  The Unique Sheep Super Wool Aran in Arctic Flow and Cinder
Needle:  US 9 (5.5 mm)

No comments:

Post a Comment