Saturday, November 4, 2017

The Lady of the Lake - Chart 1 Done

Back in the summer of 2015, The Unique Sheep Mystery Knit Along shawl was The Once and Future King, by Janine Le Cras, of course.  That shawl was worked from the ends to the center in two pieces that were then grafted together.  It was my first time grafting lace, and there were several comments on the forum threads about reversing the charts and knitting from the center out.  Of course I had to have a go at that.  Being one of the test knitters I had access to all of the charts and I sat down over the course of a few weeks and reversed them all, and then tweaked them a bit to make the pattern more visually distinct.  I am an inveterate pattern tweaker.  I even ordered some yarn to make the shawl in, a skein of Eos in Velvet Teal, and picked up some clear iridescent beads from my sister at the Bead and Button show, but I never cast on.

Then, this past summer, The Unique Sheep offered Sea Silk as a yarn base for this past summer's Mystery Knit Along and I picked some up in the Goddess colorway.  Can you see a woman's arm, in glistening chain mail rising up from the waters of the lake holding Excaliber?
And so, having finally finished my Goldwing and Kimba shawls I have at last cast on, over two years later.  I did a magic figure 8 cast on using two 24" US 3 needles.  After caking the first skein I weighed it and then wound off half to another cake, but I did not cut the yarn.  The original pattern only had a single row of the rosettes, but I decided to do two.  It just makes it easy to work each chart twice.

Pattern:  The Lady of the Lake by Carolyn Blakelock, a modification of The Once and Future King by Janine Le Cras
Yarn:  The Unique Sheep Sea Silk
Needles:  US 3 (3.25 mm)

No comments:

Post a Comment