One of the really frustrating things about this pattern was the fact that the lace has written directions only, no charts. I charted both lace patterns, and then made some mods to the Eyelet Lace Chart that is used for the body. I use Knit Visualizer as my charting software and was able to export the lace charts as .png files and then import them into Word Perfect and convert the file to pdf, which I then pulled into Knit Companion, a knitting app for the iPad. This is my first time knitting from Knit Companion and I have to say that I love it. As an engineer I appreciate things that are well-designed (one of the main reasons I bought a Honda Element) and this app is extremely well-designed. It also has terrific in-app help.
After getting my charts set up in Knit Companion, I cast on the first side insert. I did 9 repeats of the chart as instructed and went to check my measurements. I was fine on the stitches, but there was no way that I could stretch the 9 repeats out to 15 inches, so I kept knitting. Unfortunately, when I had done my calculations I had figured that I could get both side inserts out of skein 6, but only if I was doing 9 repeats. I ended up switching to skein 5 on row 3 of the 10th repeat and did 12.5 repeats to get to the right dimensions.
Pattern: Open Eye Tunic by Deborah Helmke (Interweave Knits, Summer 2013)
Yarn: The Unique Sheep Tinsel Toes in Electric Blue Flame
Needle: US 7 (4.5 mm)