Saturday, July 21, 2012

Triffid Mystery Shawl - Clue 2

I have been slowly but steadily working on my Triffid Shawl and I finished Clue 2 this past Thursday.  I am still a clue behind.  I am sitting in my living room and there is a bird taking a bath in the rain on the rail of our deck.  He looks like a wren, with colors reminiscent of my my Little Wing Shawl.  It is a nice gentle rain.  I love listening to the rain on the roof.

The Triffid pattern is intriguing.  It took me a little experimenting to figure out how to do the right and left cables without using a cable needle and without having to leave a loop hanging, which I just can't bring myself to do.  My method is still a little fiddly, but not too bad, mostly you have to be careful not to split the yarn, and you definitely need pointy needles.  I love my Addi Lace.

To do the right cable without a cable needle:   insert the right needle into the two stitches as if you are going to do a k2tog and slide them off the left needle.   Insert the left needle into the 2 stitches that are now on the right needle from left to right and slip the two stitches  back onto the left needle.   The order of the two stitches has now been reversed.  Note that the orientation of the stitches on the needle has also been switched; to avoid twisting the stitch knit into what is now the back loop.

To do the left cable without a cable needle:   slip the two stitches one at a time to the right needle as if you are a doing a ssk.   Insert the left needle into the two stitches from right to left and slip the stitches back onto the left needle.   The stitches have been reversed, but this time the orientation of the stitches did not get reversed so knit into the front loop as usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment