Sunday, July 15, 2012

Spirit of Guernsey - Clue 1

I finally cast on the latest Unique Sheep Mystery Knit Along this afternoon - Spirit of Guernsey.  This is not the yarn that I ordered for the project.  This is.
This is the November colorway in Ling.  I have never knit with Ling before.  It is 70% superwash merino and 30% cultivated silk, but it is a very firm yarn, reminding me more of pure silk.  I spent a frustrating afternoon on Friday trying to cast on with this yarn, and somehow managed to lose one of my size 3 double point needles.  It has simply vanished.  I have no idea how or where, but I cannot find it.  It didn't take me long to decide that for circular shawls I will stick with Eos.  Fortunately I happened to have some Eos in my stash.  This lovely colorway - Erin's Dream.  I have way more than I need - 6 skeins instead of 4, but I didn't realize that until I had cast on and finished the first clue, and I really don't feel like starting over again.  I still need to buy beads, but I am going to wait until we get to a clue that has beads to decide on a color. 
The curious thing is that Eos is a 50/50 blend of Merino and Tussah silk, but somehow it is more forgiving and easier to work with in tricky circular cast-ons than the Ling, and while I know that I could do the cast on in the Ling (I have done it with pure silk), I just don't need to work that hard.  I work hard enough in my day job.  The Ling I have ear-marked for a second In Dreams shawl.  I even have beads picked out.  I'm thinking of calling it Summer Dreams.

Pattern:  Spirit of Guernsey by Janine le Cras
Yarn:  The Unique Sheep Eos in Erin's Dream
Needles:  US 3 (3.25 mm)

No comments:

Post a Comment