Saturday, May 13, 2023

Comfort Blanket - 2 Blocks Done

When Mad Scientist yarns did their Hertzsprung Russell inspired Advent Calender in 2020 I was pretty much gob-smacked and super impressed with the creativity and skill, so in 2021 I purchased another Advent Calendar set.  This one was not quite what I was expecting, so I set it aside.  The theme is Bioluminescent Marine Life.
It is nominally a fade, but it is pretty crazy and I was really at a loss as to what to make with it.  Fast forward to today and Louise Tilbrook’s Comfort Blanket.  It is just mitered squares, and you can make them different sizes and, so long as you follow a few basic rules, they will fit together.  You join them as you go so there is very little finishing.  I’m doing the 40 x 40 stitch squares, which should have taken more yarn than they did (I’m using about 12 grams, vice the 23 stated in the pattern), but my size is about right.  My little blanket will be 5 squares by 5 squares.  I may work an edging with the solid skein, but I haven’t decided yet.  Once you get the square picked up it is mindless knitting - or popcorn knitting, if you prefer, because you want to see how the next color will look.

As with the 2020 Advent Calendar, there is some nice swag.  The project bags are very nice, and there are little picture cards with the marine life that inspired each of the colors.  I am sad that they closed up their shop, but they still put out the occasional special, to support charities.  They just did that with an amazing purple to green fade set, that I had to get, although I really, really, really, do not need to buy any more yarn.  Ever.  But we know how that works, don’t we.

Pattern:  Comfort Blanket by Louise Tilbrook
Yarn:  Mad Scientist Yarns Hybrid - 2021 Jekyll Advent Calendar
Needle:  US 3 (3.25 mm)

No comments:

Post a Comment