Sunday, May 7, 2023

Campfire Cardi - Body Done!

I’ve mostly been focusing on my Campfire Cardi and finally finished up the body and have transitioned to the hem.  When I started the second skein I did a yarn usage check - easier to do on the body as opposed to figuring out the stitch count for all that upper body shaping - and based on my yarn usage I confirmed that I would not have enough to work the hem and the cuffs with my main color.  I had figured that I wouldn’t, just based on the yarn requirements and the amount of yarn that I have in that color (only 3 skeins), so I had already planned on working a contrast hem and contrast cuffs.  The main color is Campfire Connections, which was a special Camp Loopy color from The Loopy Ewe back in 2015 (I think), so it is no longer available.  For the hem and the cuffs I picked another special Camp Loopy color  from 2017 - Walking the Gangplank.  The effect is dramatic, but I think it will be gorgeous when it is finished.
I did make one change to the pattern that impacted the hem and my set up row.  There is a 1/1 cable that is worked fives times on each front, separating the 12 stitch and 6 stitch cable patterns.   The pattern calls for a 1/1 left cross, and on the right front (the first front worked) I did the 1/1 left cross, but when I got to the left front I decided to reverse it to a 1/1 right cross so they would mirror each other.  The hem is worked in a 1/1 left cross, p1, pattern that continues the 1/1 left cross from the front panels.  Obviously that would not work for me on the left front, so half of my hem is worked in the 1/1 left cross and half my hem is worked in the 1/1 right cross, switching in the middle of the back.  The pattern calls for working increases on the set up row so that the existing 1/1 cables and purl columns will continue into the hem uninterrupted.  I did increases, but I did not follow the pattern instructions.

So, to work the set up row, first I found the midpoint of the back and placed a split marker, as this is where I need to flip the orientation of the 1/1 cables.  I did not work any increases in the beginning and ending stockinette stitch sections.  On the 12 stitch cables I worked the first two stitches in pattern (1/1 cable), did a m1p, worked in pattern across to the last two stitches, and did another m1p.  On the 6 stitch cables I worked 2 stitches in pattern, m1p, worked 2 stitches in pattern, m1p.  When I got to the center back I purled two stitches together - the one before the marker with the one after the marker, which made my stitch count work out.

And my swatch has not lied, not even a little bit.

Pattern:  Sage Cardi by Zanete Knits
Yarn:  Dream in Color Smooshy
Needle:  US 3 (3.25 mm0

No comments:

Post a Comment