Monday, April 15, 2019

Medallion Top - Swatched

The box with the Coolfire yarn in it also contained two sets of non-wool yarn - Cascade Yarns Pima Tencel.  This yarn contains 50% Peruvian Pima Cotton and 50% Tencel and is put up in 50 g skeins of 109 yards.  One of the sets I had purchased to make the Medallion Top - #31 in Spring/Summer 2008 issue of Vogue Knitting.  I had made a note when I stashed the yarn so I knew what I had bought it for.  I pulled out the magazine and read through the pattern.  The first thing I did was chart up the lace pattern and then I typed up the pattern from the magazine into a Word file and started working on the modifications.  The pattern has you knit the front and back separately and work the sleeves flat.  I don't relish seaming with this yarn so I'm going to knit it in the round, do short row shaping for the shoulders so I can do a 3-needle bind off and modify the armhole shaping so I can work the sleeves as set-in top down sleeves.  The pattern calls for US 6 and 7 needles (4 and 4.5 mm), but I had to use a US 5 (3.75 mm) needle to get gauge.  I wouldn't want to go any smaller than a US 5 with this yarn, but I think it will give me a good fabric.  The US 7 was way too loose.

Pattern:  Medallion Top by Gayle Bunn (#31 in the Spring/Summer 2008 issue of Vogue Knitting)
Yarn:  Cascade Yarns Pima Tencel
Needle:  US 5 (3.75 mm)

No comments:

Post a Comment