Saturday, July 30, 2016

Gazania Zebra - One Side Done

After finishing Raspberry Blaze I picked this project up again.  I finished up one side last night and picked up the stitches to start working the other side.  I decided that because I did not make the center stripe on this shawl as long as the one on my Charivari Zebra that I would turn this shawl into a shrug.  This would also provide me with a way to use up all the leftover yarn.  I had already divided up each skein into two for working the two sides.  I took the leftovers from the first three strips from side one and divided them in half, and then joined them - blue to red to orange.  When I finished up the yellow strip I divided the remianing yarn in half without cutting it from the work.  I joined that yarn to my other remains.  I then started working short rows in garter stitch.  I knit until I was 3 stitches away from the center stitch (I have an odd number of stitches) and then turned and knit back.  I continued knitting back and forth working 10 fewer stitches at the center each time.  When I got to the blue I kept knitting toward the center on the last row to use up as much as possible.
I may join the edges using a weaving technique that I've seen where you pull the loops through each other, working your way up the live stitches, almost in a braid.  If that doesn't work I'll do a three needle bind off using the remains of the self-striping skein.

Pattern:  Traveling Zebra by Louise Robert
Yarn:  Bis-sock by Biscotte & Cie
Needle:  US 2.5 (3 mm) & US 4 (3.5 mm)

No comments:

Post a Comment