Saturday, June 22, 2013

Pesto - Finished!

This was definitely an experiment.  After the short row shaping I had an entire skein of yarn left over, and you know how much I hate having leftover yarn, so I decided to add another layer of lace.   For my first, unsuccessful, attempt I repeated the lace pattern, but only over half the number of repeats.  I then joined that strip of lace to the shawl and finished off with the eyelet rows.  I should have known it would not work.
But one of the beauties of knitting is that you can always rip out and start over again.  I also noticed, to my horror, that I had missed a yarn over in the eyelet rows right after the lace.  So, I ripped and started over again.  But first I fixed that missing yarn over, pulling a stitch all the way up.  It did result in a strip of three tight stitches going up the shawl, but I figured I could address that when I blocked.  This time when I added the extra lace I decided to be a bit smarter about it.  I went ahead and finished the main body of the shawl with a repeat of the eyelet rows rather than the I-cord bind off that the pattern called for.  Then I picked up stitches right below the purl row and knit the extra lace down from that.  I went for a very simple lace pattern that would increase my stitches, hopefully to the point where they would lay flat when I blocked the shawl again.  By picking up stitches I also gave myself the flexibility to keep trying until I got it right.
If you look closely, you can still see where I picked up that extra stitch, but it is much better than it was.  I may work on it some more.   Overall, I am happy with how my experiment came out.


Pattern:  Peridot Necklace Lace Shawl by Alina Appasov
Yarn:  The Unique Sheep Verve in Pesto
Needle:  US 5 (3.75 mm)

No comments:

Post a Comment