This was definitely an experiment. After the short row shaping I had an entire skein of yarn left over, and you know how much I hate having leftover yarn, so I decided to add another layer of lace. For my first, unsuccessful, attempt I repeated the lace pattern, but only over half the number of repeats. I then joined that strip of lace to the shawl and finished off with the eyelet rows. I should have known it would not work.
But one of the beauties of knitting is that you can always rip out and start over again. I also noticed, to my horror, that I had missed a yarn over in the eyelet rows right after the lace. So, I ripped and started over again. But first I fixed that missing yarn over, pulling a stitch all the way up. It did result in a strip of three tight stitches going up the shawl, but I figured I could address that when I blocked. This time when I added the extra lace I decided to be a bit smarter about it. I went ahead and finished the main body of the shawl with a repeat of the eyelet rows rather than the I-cord bind off that the pattern called for. Then I picked up stitches right below the purl row and knit the extra lace down from that. I went for a very simple lace pattern that would increase my stitches, hopefully to the point where they would lay flat when I blocked the shawl again. By picking up stitches I also gave myself the flexibility to keep trying until I got it right.
If you look closely, you can still see where I picked up that extra stitch, but it is much better than it was. I may work on it some more. Overall, I am happy with how my experiment came out.
Pattern: Peridot Necklace Lace Shawl by Alina Appasov
Yarn: The Unique Sheep Verve in Pesto
Needle: US 5 (3.75 mm)