Tuesday, December 12, 2023

Guava Vest - Finished!

I finished up the vest back before Thanksgiving, on November 23, but then it needed to block and I really wanted to get a picture of me wearing it, but just haven’t been able to, so here is one on my dressmaker dummy.  It does fit me quite well, and is warm.  The yarn is Aran weight and I knit at a fairly tight gauge, so the fabric is solid, but not overly stiff.  The stockinette fabric has a very smooth feel.  The yarn is 100% merino, but I don’t think it is superwash, based on the way my yarn tails were behaving.  The yarn is Plenty by Purl Soho, and the pattern that it was intended for was called the Ribline Vest, which was a sleeveless top with sort of raglan shaped sleeves, a mock turtle neck, and a split hem.  After working almost the complete top I decided it really wasn’t the right pattern for the yarn.  A sleeveless top that is not intended to be worn over something in Aran weight yarn?  That just seemed a bit odd to me.  Next I cast on a pattern called Llif, which was a vest with some nice cabling, but I didn’t like the way the cables did not organically grow out of the ribbing on the bottom, and I didn’t feel like figuring out how to make it work.  I also felt that the dark yarn was not going to show off the cables to their best advantage, and I really just wanted a basic vest.  Then I found the Guava vest pattern, which was in Portuguese, but Google translate to the rescue there.  I uploaded the PDF and got a translated PDF in return.  There were a few oddities that I had to work out, but nothing insurmountable and I am very happy with the result.

Pattern:  Goiaba by Svetlana Zholobova
Yarn:  Purl Soho Plenty
Needles:  US 7 (4.5 mm), US 6 (4.0 mm)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment