Saturday, March 7, 2020

Lacy Business - Cast On

I picked this yarn up from The Loopy Ewe last November.  I was cruising the Dream in Color yarns, because I do love color, and spotted them and knew they just had to be knit up into a shawl together.  When Ambah released Lacy Business I knew that they would be perfect for it.  I have had them sitting out since then, and had caked them up a couple of weeks ago, so last weekend I cast on.
I did make some modifications to the pattern, which is one reason why it took me a little while to get started.  The original pattern used knit-front-back stitches for the increases.  I wanted to use yarn overs where ever possible.  The original pattern also has increases on both right and wrong sides on the edges.  I wanted to keep all of my increases on the right side only.  I decided to start and end my rows with k2, (k, yo, k) into next stitch, reversing that at the end.  I also worked the center increase as k1, yo, k1.  In order to make this work from the beginning I cast on nine stitches and knit one row before beginning the pattern.  With the exception of the eyelet rows, by wrong side rows are knit.  For the eyelet rows I work k3, (yo, ask) to center stitch, k1, (k2tog, yo) to last three stitches, k3.  My modifications mean that I end up with two more stitches than the pattern calls for at each of the check points, but I’m not concerned about that.  I’ll be making modifications to the lace pattern as well, when I get there.

Pattern:  Lacy Business by Ambah O’Brien
Yarn:  Dream in Color Smooshy with Cashmere in True to Life and Time Away
Needle:  US 5 (3.75 mm)


No comments:

Post a Comment