Sunday, January 6, 2019

Juniper Ombre Shrug - Back Done

I finished up the back last night, working 48 rows, or one and one-half repeats of the motif.  This gives me 49 stitches between the spines.  I am including the 2 spine stitches for the sleeve, which takes the count up to 51, and will cast on 49 stitches to complete the sleeve, giving me 100 stitches total.  This will work out to 6 full repeats of the motif on the sleeves (3 on the front and 3 on the back of the sleeve), plus 26 stitches that I can use for a vertical motif, which will go down the top and bottom of the sleeves (13 stitches each).  I will finish off with a knit on border.  I've already picked out my patterns and recharted them in Stitchmastery so I can easily pull them in to knitCompanion.  For the vertical motif I am using #137 on page 225, but will replace the nupps with beads (I don't do nupps).  For the cuff I plan to use #180 on page 263.

I've spent the first part of this morning figuring out the cast on for the sleeves.  I tried to be all clever and work an I-cord bind off across the top, then an I-cord cast on for the front part of the sleeve, but it turned out that the I-cord cast on was too tight, even when I went up 2 needle sizes.  So I pulled it all out and will do a simple crochet cast on for the front of the sleeve and finish up with an I-cord bind off and edging.  I will work that in skein 1, so it will be a contrast edging.

Pattern:  Created from Knitting Modular by Melissa Leapman
Yarn:  The Unique Sheep Kiri
Needle:  US 5 (3.75 mm)


No comments:

Post a Comment