Saturday, June 25, 2016

Gazania Zebra - Cast On

I started this project last weekend because I needed a mindless project to work on while we watched the movie "The Adjustment Bureau", which actually required me to pay attention to what was going on.  Unfortunately it was Father's Day, so we were interrupted by phone calls from Bruce's offspring.  The up side of that was it gave me time to go wind all of the skeins for the project so I could weigh them and get a sense of how long I could make my snake, I mean central panel.

You have to admit, though, it really does look like a snake.  In fact it bears a pretty striking resemblance to a Coral Snake, as you can see from the photo below.

As a reminder, here is a picture of the yarn pack that I am working with.
My yarn weights are:
Gazania Skein - 57.8 g
Blue Skein - 48.9 g
Red Skein - 46.4 g
Orange Skein - 49.1 g
Yellow Skein - 50.2 g

For comparison, the yarn weights of my Charivari Zebra were:
Charivari skein - 52.4 g
Black skein - 48.9 g
Dark Gray Skein - 48.9 g
Light Gray Skein - 48.1 g
White Skein - 46.8 g

For the Charivari Zebra I used up all of my Charivari skein, which made the central panel longer than the pattern called for.  I did this knowing that I might run short on some of the other colors, but wasn't worried and new I could just adjust the number of garter stitch rows, which I did on the Black skein and the white skein.  Given the weight difference between the Charivari skein and the Gazania skein I don't think I can safely use up all of my Gazania skein, so I will use up about 52 grams.  I'm thinking that any leftover yarn that I have I will divide evenly in half, join the ends and just work additional garter stitch rows on both edges, reversing the order of the colors and ending with the Gazania.  I know that I won't have any of the Blue or Red skeins left, based upon my experience with the Charivari Zebra.

Pattern:  Traveling Zebra by Louise Robert
Yarn:  Bis-sock by Biscotte & Cie
Needle:  US 2.5 (3 mm) & US 4 (3.5 mm)

No comments:

Post a Comment