Saturday, July 4, 2015

Andromeda Cape - Third Transition

I finished up one of my test knits last week and have started on another but took a little break to work on my Andromeda Cape.  The photo does not capture the colors well at all.  There are some lovely subtle shadings that are lost and it is too yellow.  I tried to do some correction on it, but I couldn't make it any better.  I am almost to done with the easy knitting and to the first border.

The Unique Sheep Once and Future King Mystery Knit Along starts in just under two weeks, and that was the test knit that I just finished up.  I assembled all the clue files yesterday and just took my finished shawl off the blocking mats.  It is a really lovely design and it is always so much fun seeing all the different colorways being knit up.  The test knit that I just started is for the Inspired by Art Club, also by The Unique Sheep.  I almost didn't do this test knit because the shawl shape is not one that I enjoy working, but I really like the designer so I let her talk me into it.  I'm glad that I did.  I really like the design.

And speaking of cool designs, a fellow Raveler contacted me about converting a circular shawl into a cape (word is getting round that I do that sort of thing) and the shawl that she wants to convert is one that I've been eyeing as well.  It is Solar Flare and it is going to be a bit of a challenge to convert.  There is a place where the beginning of the round marker shifts 12 stitches, which isn't really possible when you're knitting it as a cape.  I think I have figured out how to do it, but won't know until I actually try it, so I ordered the yarn to make it.  It was designed to use Unique Sheep yarn, and there is even a special colorway, called, appropriately enough, Solar Flare.

And speaking of capes, I am finally going to tackle Evenstar.  I have had the yarn in my stash for a while now, and there seems to be a fair bit of interest so I'm going to do a Knit Along and post the modifications for the conversion to a cape.  I'm thinking about doing an I-cord cast on for the neck, and I-cord edges, just to give it a little something special.  If you're interested in joining, I started a discussion thread here, and The Unique Sheep sells kits here.  We won't be starting until after the Once and Future King MKAL is done, so probably sometime around the Labor Day Weekend.

Pattern:  Andromeda Shawl by Janine le Cras (converted into a cape)
Yarn:  The Unique Sheep Verve in Magic Mirror
Needle:  US 5 (3.75 mm)

No comments:

Post a Comment