Saturday, July 18, 2015

Andromeda Cape - Fourth Transition

I took a break from my test knit today because I ran into a little issue that I need to work out with the designer before I can continue, but I'm enjoying a little down time and working on my Andromeda Cape.  I finished up the body today and have started on the first border.  I switched to skein 2 on the last row of the body (row 120).  You can actually see the join in the picture.

Because I'm doing this as a cape I had to tweak the first border a little.  I started out with 6 rows of garter stitch, slipping the first stitch on the right side rows and working the last stitch together with one of the edge stitches.  I also modified the border pattern - stretching it out - so that I don't have to work lace patterning on the wrong side rows because I just wasn't up for that.  In essence I pretended that all of the rows in the chart were right side rows and the wrong side rows just weren't being shown.  I am also not working the yarn over, k2tog at the beginning of the right side rows.  Instead I'm slipping the first stitch.  I ended up recharting the border just to make it easier on my brain (which has to work hard enough during the week).

I also got an email today that my Solar Flare yarn has shipped, which is very exciting.  I worked out the modifications to make that shawl into a cape and recharted everything.  I think it will be very cool.  I still need to get beads for that shawl, and also for my Evenstar Cape.  It looks like lots of folks will be joining me for that knit along, which I figure I will start over the Labor Day weekend.  It is very exciting for me to be leading a knit along.  I'm planning on making it a teaching opportunity for me to teach folks how to go about doing a cape conversion.  I've helped a few people to do that (I seem to be getting a bit of a rep), but have never done something on this scale before.  I'm looking forward to it.

Pattern:  Andromeda Shawl by Janine le Cras (converted into a cape)
Yarn:  The Unique Sheep Verve in Magic Mirror
Needle:  US 5 (3.75 mm)

No comments:

Post a Comment