Monday, March 2, 2015

Hot Cocoa Cassatt - Raglan Yoke Finished!

I cast this on Saturday, but didn't really start knitting on it until Sunday.  Besides modifying the pattern to knit top down I also modified the cable pattern.  The original had "knots" or "bobbles" replacing one of the arms of the longer cables, but I don't do "knots" or "bobbles" so I recharted the cable pattern to remove that feature and complete design.  Readers familiar with Barbara Walker's book Knitting from the Top will recognize the view, although the yoke doesn't join the way it does in her drawings because the drawings don't take into account the third dimension of the body.  The yoke doesn't stay in a flat plane, it drapes across your shoulders.  I used right and left lifted increases throughout, which I think gives a nice decorative effect on the raglan "seams" and a nice edge along the neck line that will make picking up stitches for the collar pretty easy.  I've now placed the sleeve stitches on waste yarn and cast on the underarm stitches.  I'll work about an inch of the body and then check the fit.  Based upon the measurements, the fit should be good, but it is always best to confirm.  I also need to check my yarn usage so I can make sure that I won't run out of yarn with the modifications that I want to make.  I'm thinking of working the collar, cuffs and bottom ribbing in another color of yarn, just to give me more freedom to play with the design.


Pattern:  Cassatt (part of the Sweet Paprika Sweater Club) by Elizabeth Sullivan
Yarn:  Sweet Paprika Minuet in Hot Cocoa
Needle:  US 5 (3.75 mm)

No comments:

Post a Comment