Sunday, August 10, 2014

Periwinkle Shrug

Last weekend, my step-daughter Amy was home for a couple of days looking for a new knitting project to take with her to Florida for her vacation.  I got her knitting a couple of years ago by giving her a learn to knit kit and a Knitter's Companion and answering her questions and helping her with her mistakes.  Since that time she has knitted a scarf, a hat, a nice cardigan/coat and a small kerchief shawl. The latter two still need blocking, which we'll do when she passes back through in a couple of weeks.  She wanted something lacy, but easier to wear than a shawl so I suggested a shrug.  I pulled up Ravelry and started a pattern search and quickly spotted the Quicksilver Lace Shrug by Kristiina V.  The pattern is free, but is a little sparse for a beginner, so I decided to knit it as well and I annotated her copy with more detailed instructions.  I happened to have some Classic Elite Ultra Pima cotton yarn in my stash that I had bought for Camp Loopy but never used because I decided after I ordered it to skip Camp Loopy this year.  I had bought two colors, the Periwinkle seen here and Major Teal.  Amy picked the Major Teal, which will look stunning on her.  I am hoping that everything will work out.  I have my doubts regarding the yarn/needle combination - DK weight on a US 2.5?  But the measurements are working out so I guess I am doing okay on gauge (she didn't give a gauge for the pattern - she just states that it is not critical) and I like the fabric I am getting.  I am looking at this as something of an experiment because I have been thinking of designing some lace shrugs to use up some of my one-off skeins of fingering weight yarn that I have accumulated in my stash.


Pattern:  Quicksilver Lace Shrug by Kristiina V.
Yarn:  Classic Elite Ultra Pima in Periwinkle
Needle: US 2.5 (3.0 mm)

No comments:

Post a Comment