Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Meris - Cast On!

It doesn't look like much, but this is the beginning of a top-down cardigan with set in sleeves.  I've knit top-down raglans, but this is my first time knitting one with set in sleeves.  That is one of the reasons that I wanted to try this pattern - an opportunity to learn some new techniques.  You start out working the shoulders separately, using short rows to get the shape, and cable cast on to get the extra stitches.  I did shadow wraps for my short rows.  Then you join the shoulders and start knitting the back.  There will be some armhole shaping in there as well.

I ended up going with a US 2.5 needle (3.0 mm).  That got me the correct stitch gauge.  When I tried going with a smaller needle the fabric became too dense.  The pattern is very well written, with everything clearly laid out.  I'm not sure how long I will keep the stitch markers.  I so very rarely use them.

Pattern:  Meris by Elizabeth Doherty
Yarn:  Finch by Quince & Co
Needle:  US 2.5 (3 mm)


No comments:

Post a Comment