Saturday, May 11, 2013

Ardent Spring - Done!

I originally called this shawl Crocuses, because of the colors, but the name just doesn't flow, so I decided to call it Ardent Spring.  This name actually works the name of the colorway - Ardent - into the name of the shawl, which I like to do with these leftover shawls.  The yarn for this shawl was left over from my Robin Hood shawl, which I renamed Maid Marian, because purple just is not Robin Hood's color, but it is Maid Marian's.  I picked up a skein of Rumpelstiltskin for the border.  When I ordered it I had no idea that it was a gradiance set, so I got the darkest skein.

I did make a mistake when I was knitting this shawl.  I missed an increase row.  The shawl pattern is based on Elizabeth Zimmerman's pi shawl, where you periodically double the number of stitches.  I missed one of those rows very early on, but I didn't discover it until I got to the border.  I had actually kept track of my rows so I knew how many stitches I should have had, but I counted them anyway and was very surprised that I had less than I expected.  A lot less.  I counted twice, just to be sure.  So how much of an impact did my mistake have?

Well, it made it a little harder to block.  The shawl just didn't seem to pull out as cleanly or easily.  It definitely took some tugging and adjusting.  Obviously I did not do as many repeats of the border pattern, which resulted in the border being stretched more horizontally.  It looks okay, but I definitely felt like there was very little border to spare while blocking.  On the other hand, if I had had as many stitches as I thought I had, I would not have had enough yarn for the border.  Of course, if I had done the increase row I probably would not have gotten as many rows out of the yarn and would have ended up with fewer stitches when I started the border.  Would it have been enough fewer so that I wouldn't have run out of border yarn?  I don't know.  Probably.  Interestingly enough, I compared the shape of this shawl with one of my previous left over shawls, and the shape is almost identical.  As expected, the border is not as stretched out horizontally on the other leftover shawls.

Pattern:  based on Over the Moon by Vick Mikulik with a knit on border adapted from Damask Rose by Janine le Cras
Yarn:  The Unique Sheep Tinsel Toes in Ardent and Rumpelstiltskin
Needle:  US 5 (3.75 mm)

No comments:

Post a Comment