Monday, March 15, 2010

Tools of the Trade - Zen Yarn Garden - Serenity Lace

I cannot keep my hands off of this yarn.  I first discovered Zen Yarn Garden yarns last year during the Year of Lace.  The yarn for the Wisteria Garden Shawl is Zen Yarn Garden Sea Lace.  That shawl was my first lace shawl, and that yarn was my first lace yarn.  I wanted more Zen Yarn, so I went to her web site and signed up for the email list.  I bought two skeins of the Serenity Lace last year when I first caught the lace bug.  I think that they were my first lace yarn purchases outside of the Year of Lace club.  I couldn't resist the name having both Buddhist leanings and being a fan of Firefly.

The yarn is 90% superwash merino and 10% cashmere.  It comes in 1200 yd / 4 oz skeins and is very reasonably priced at $38.00 a skein.  It winds up easily and knits like a dream.  It is very soft, with a very high fondle factor.  The colorway on the left is Fig Tree, the colorway on the right is 14kt, and the one in the middle is Into the Fire.  The yarn has just the right amount of twist, which gives it a springy body that makes it feel alive in your hands.  It also has great stitch definition as can be seen in the close-up of the center panel of the Phoenix Rising Shawl.
A wonderful yarn, beautiful colorways, great price, great customer service.  What more could one ask for?

No comments:

Post a Comment