Sunday, March 7, 2010

Evenstar Myster Shawl - Clue 2...well, sort of...

 
The second clue came a week ago this past Friday, but I didn't get started on it until yesterday.  Everything was going okay, except that the new chart design was not symmetric with the first chart and that was bugging me.  I can't help it, I like symmetry.  Maybe it is the physicist and engineer in me, but the more I worked that chart, the more it bothered me.  So, I did a little redesign.  I kept the basic motif, but modified it to line up better with the previous chart.  Of course, first, I had to rip out what I had knitted.  To do that, I inserted another circular needle (a size 2) into the last row of chart 1, and then I pulled out the other needle, and ripped away.  It was strangely liberating.
 
In doing the redesign I kept the same number of rows but I didn't do the decrease row that chart 2 called for, so my chart 2 section has 288 stitches, not 280.  Right now, my chart has 39 pattern rows, but I stopped after knitting row 34 in case I have to modify the chart to fit with chart 3, which will come out next Friday.

It feels a little strange doing this redesign, but I'm liking the results, as well as the process.  Bruce keeps asking me when I'm going to start creating my own lace designs, but there are so many beautiful designs already out there that I want to knit.

A word about the yarn.  The Unique Sheep Eos, 50/50 Tussah Silk/Wool.  It is a dream to work with, buttery soft, and the color is amazing.  A soft lilac, with some blue and pink and slightly darker purple.  The silk gives it a wonderful sheen.

No comments:

Post a Comment