Sunday, September 24, 2023

Damselfly Socks - One Cuff Done!

I have actually knit the cuff twice.  This pattern comes in two sizes, small (8 inch circumference) and large (10 inch circumference).  Based on the fit of the Danube sock I decided to start out with the small size, which has you cast on 66 stitches (I cast on 68 stitches for my Danube socks - with my modifications).  I used a single circular needle for the first cuff, which meant that I could not try it on as I was knitting.  When I finished the cuff I discovered that it was tight and hard to get on and off my foot.  I should have realized that with all of the cable stitches it would come out tighter.  So, I ripped it all out and started over again with the large size, which has you cast on 70 stitches.  It is still snug, but it is easier to get on and off.  As a side note, I don’t see how casting on an extra 4 stitches is going to get you from an 8 inch circumference to a 10 inch circumference.  This time I knit on two circular needles, my favored sock knitting set up.  When I got to the section that has cable stitches that required a stitch from each needle I shifted that stitch to the other needle, shifting it back when I had completed all four of those cables.


Pattern:  Damselfly by Janel Laidman
Yarn:  Kelpie Taliesin Sock in Tara
Needle:  US 1.5 (2.5 mm)

No comments:

Post a Comment