Friday, September 1, 2023

Iris Hues Lampy - Two Wedges Done!

I have now started this shawl three times.  The first time I did not read the instructions carefully and actually ended up swapping the right and wrong sides, as seen in the picture below.
The second time I ended up changing my tension partway through the first wedge, which was noticeable (as can be seen in the photo below), and the more I worked, the more I noticed, and the more I preferred the tighter gauge.
So, I ripped it all out again and started over one more time, and I’m much happier with the result.  I also decided to do the wrap and turn short rows instead of the German Short Rows as I noticed an interesting artifact of the double stitch where it actually interrupted the garter stitch pattern.  The wrap and turns are barely noticeable and I thought they gave a nicer edge.  I also decided to slip the first stitch of every row purl wise with the yarn in front, and then take the yarn to the back between the first and second stitches.  This is a trick I learned on my Winter Wonderland shawl, and I love the edge it gives.  I was perplexed by the pattern switching the slipped stitch from the first stitch on the right side rows in the Wedge section to the first stitch of the wrong side rows in the Speckles section.  I do not know if it is an error, but it is certainly an inconsistency.  As I am slipping the first stitch at the beginning of all my rows it doesn’t matter to me.  When I’m working the Speckles, I take both strands to the back when I slip the first stitch, and then drop the one that I’m not working with (the Winter Wonderland trick).

Pattern:  Lampy by Janica York Carter
Yarn:  Expression Fiber Arts Luster Superwash Merino Sport
Needle:  US 5 (3.75 mm)


No comments:

Post a Comment