Monday, September 4, 2023

Iris Hues Lampy - Three Wedges Done!

I had finished up the second wedge and was working the transition to the third color when I decided to check my yarn usage and make some decisions about how I was going to proceed with the shawl.  I quickly realized that if I worked all of the rows called for in the Speckles section that I would have enough yarn to work three wedges of each color, but not four, and three wedges does not really lend itself to symmetry.  So, I ripped right back to the first Speckles section and decided to work only one repeat of the eight rows, instead of the called for three repeats.  By reducing the number of rows in the Speckles section I brought the yarn usage down to about 24 grams for each wedge plus color transition, so now I can easily work four sets of wedges.  I will continue working in this color order for the first two sets of wedges, then I will work a Speckles section with the yellow, just for a nice pop of color, and reverse the colors for the second half.  I will also reverse the short row shaping so everything will be symmetric.  Once I get done with all of the wedges I will decide how I want to go about finishing the shawl.  I may still work the I-cord tie, but if I do I will pick up stitches along the entire neck edge, instead of just attaching it at the start and finish.  And maybe I’ll do a little crochet border on the bottom.  We’ll see.

Pattern:  Lampy by Janica York Carter
Yarn:  Expression Fiber Arts Luster Superwash Merino Sport
Needle:  US 5 (3.75 mm)

No comments:

Post a Comment