Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Damselfly Socks - Cast On!

Fortunately this skein of yarn did not get damaged by the carpet beetles, so I was able to use it for the Damselfly socks, which is a beautiful pattern.  Curiously I do not have it in electronic form, when I looked in the Art & Sole patterns in my Ravelry library it is not there.  The cuff design for this one is a bit complex, being two damselflies.  Given the way the chart is laid out I decided to work the cuffs on a single circular, in this case an 8 inch HiyaHiya needle.  I wanted to be able to use knitCompanion for the chart so I recreated the chart with my Stitchmastery charting program, and created a chart for the complete cuff, front and back.  As I was working the cuff, I did make one modification.  There is a stitch combination, where you knit, yarn over, knit in a stitch on one row, and then combine those stitches together again in the next row with a central double decrease.  I found that stitch combination a royal pain to work.  Looking at the picture of the sock on the pattern it appears that whoever made the sample worked those stitches rather loosely, so it looks sort of like a bobble.  I did not like that look, it just looks sloppy to me, so instead I replaced the increase stitch with a bead, and replaced the decrease with a plain knit.  For the beads I picked some from my bead stash that blend in with the yarn, rather than popping.  I like the way it looks. 

The only downside to working on a single needle is that I can’t try it on until I split the stitches for the heel, but I do like working on a single needle for the cuff, especially with this pattern.  Cable stitches on a sock cuff are a bit fiddly, especially when you have twisted stitches, but not so fiddly that I’m not enjoying it.

Pattern:  Damselfly by Janel Laidman
Yarn:  Kelpie Fibers Taliesin MCN Sock in Tara
Needle:  US 1.5 (2.5 mm)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment