Saturday, August 5, 2023

Ribline Vest - Cast On!

I actually cast this on back on July 4 but didn’t work on it much until recently, and despite the name, it is not a vest, but a sleeveless raglan shaped top with a mock turtleneck collar.  The yarn and pattern is from Purl Soho, a recent discovery of mine.  I do like getting yarn and a pattern together, and that used to be how I did all of my stash acquisition when I started knitting, as opposed to just buying pretty yarn (which has led to a lot of fingering weight yarn in my stash).  The yarn is Plenty, a 100% Merino yarn, and the color is Red Plum.  The top starts out with 1x1 ribbing, with the knit column stitches twisted.  The front and back are worked separately and then joined.  Once joined the pattern calls for working 5.5 inches before decreasing for the raglan armhole shaping.  I actually knit quite a bit of this over the last weekend while we were driving, but when I got home and tried it on I decided that only knitting 5.5 inches before starting the raglan decreases made the armholes way too deep for my liking, so I ripped back to where the shaping started and knit more body.  I’m almost ready to start the raglan decreases again, but I will have to do some math to figure out how to adjust the frequency of the decreases because I will not have as many rows to work them over.

Here is how the top begins:
I did work a gauge swatch on the recommended needle and was spot on.  I had been taking this project to work with me as it is pretty simple, but once it got bigger I decided I needed something different.

Pattern:  Ribline Vest by Purl Soho
Yarn: Purl Soho Plenty
Needle:  US 7 (4.5 mm)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment