Sunday, August 27, 2023

Multivalence - Clues 7 and 8 Done! (And Clue 4)

I was going through my projects this past week, and making sure that I had linked all of the appropriate blog posts when I discovered that I had completely missed presenting Clue 4, and had in fact linked Clue 4 from the mystery knit along to the crochet along!
Clue 4 was completed way back on April 30!  It was a lot of double crochet, with the contrast rows of single crochet and popcorns.  The clue called for working the single crochet rows with the popcorn in colors A and B, but I didn’t want to use the two greens together so I used A and C.
Clue 7 took a while.  It wasn’t hard, there were just a lot of stitches and I had to pay attention to make sure that I had the right combination.  I haven’t been conscientious about tracking my yarn usage on each of the clues, so I did each pair of rounds in a different color.  In order to complete all eight rounds I broke into a new set of Luster Sport mini-skeins, my Chromatic Hues set.
I used the yellow for the second pair, and the green for the third pair of rounds.
Clue 8 went fairly quickly, in contrast to Clue 7, and was a lot of fun.  I used color A for the first set of yellow swirls, and the yellow I used in Clue 7 for the second set.  I might have had enough of Color A to complete both sets of yellow swirls, but I didn’t want to play yarn chicken and lose.  I had enough of the blue to do all of the blue swirls, but not enough to do the final round of single crochets.  I actually tried that and lost at yarn chicken with about a foot of circumference to go.  So I ripped out the round, and broke out the other blue in my Zodiac Hues set and worked it in that.  I thought about just finishing the round with the second blue skein, but didn’t want to risk a difference in color in that last 12 inches.  

I have now used 10 of the 12 colors in my Zodiac Hues set, just the two purple skeins remain.  We’ll see what the remaining 4 clues bring.  If I had known the color usage in the full pattern from the start I might have made different choices, but I am really enjoying the mystery and the creativity it is invoking because of the impact of the choices that I have made on previous clues on my choices for the later clues.  The only thing that I do to inform my decisions is wait until someone else has posted a picture of the completed clue so I can see what the design is doing before I make my next color choices.  I am loving my colors, every time I look at my project it makes me smile.

Pattern:  Multivalence by Janica York Carter
Yarn: Expression Fiber Arts Luster Superwash Merino Sport
Hook:  3.5 mm (E)




No comments:

Post a Comment