Saturday, May 31, 2014

Silk Moth

I woke up this morning to find this beauty chilling on the sliding glass door.  This photo is actually taken through the glass as I didn't want to open the door and risk disturbing him.  I wish he would open his wings for me though and give me a proper beauty shot.

After Bruce got up we opened the door, but could barely squeeze through to get out because of where he was positioned.  I blew gently on him and he opened up his wings, so I took a picture.  Unfortunately there were a lot of reflections, as would be expected, and now with his wings spread I could barely get through the opening of the glass door to get back inside, and there was no way that Bruce would make it.  I took a twig and carefully got him to transfer to it and took him over to the rail, where I was able to get this beauty shot.
He is a little the worse for wear, missing some legs and one antenna, and you can see some holes in the left wing, so I don't think he will last much longer.

I showed the picture of this moth to my sister, Virginia, while we were at Bead & Button and she informed me that he is not a Hawk Moth, he is a Silk Moth.  They can't actually eat and only live long enough to mate, so that is why he was looking a little the worse for wear.

No comments:

Post a Comment