Sunday, July 3, 2011

Moving Cable Pullover - Finished!...As a Tank Top

So, after finishing the body of this pullover I went back and started the finishing work on the sleeves, but the more I looked at the body, the more I liked it just as it was, so I decided to turn it into a tank top.  I had already accidentally made one change to the pattern - I had started the front neck shaping early, giving it more scoop.  To finish the armholes I improvised a crochet edging.  I did a round of single crochet and then a round of scallops - (1 half-double crochet, 1 double crochet, 1 half-double crochet), single crochet, single crochet.

I had one horrifying moment however.  I had just finished my first try at the first armhole edging (it took two tries to get it looking the way I wanted) and I had the piece spread out in my lap and was looking it over when what should I discover but a mistake!  Horror of horrors!  Now, I am something of a perfectionist when it comes to my crafting and there was no way that I was going to wear this top with a mistake, especially as that mistake was on the front.
Ripping out was not an option, I might as well just start over again.  As I saw it I had two choices, fix it, somehow, or cut off the top portion above the armholes and turn it into a pillow.  Well, obviously I fixed it, with a little careful surgery.
It was only two stitches in one row that needed to be fixed.  So I carefully cut the yarn and pulled those two stitches out, catching the loops of the stitches above and below.  I pulled those loops to the back of the work and carefully darned them back together, tying everything off.  The only giveaway is the fact that the cable is a little flatter than the others.  But that is a lot less noticeable than a cable crossing the wrong way.

And here is a beauty shot of Lacy Angles, off the blocking wires:

No comments:

Post a Comment