Thursday, July 7, 2011

Camp Loopy Project I - Starry Night

This past year I discovered The Loopy Ewe, and quickly became a Loopy Groupy, so how could I resist going to Camp Loopy.  The first project is to be knit between June 15 and July 15 and had to be a two color cape, scarf, or shawl - something to keep you warm while you are sitting around the camp fire.

The first project that I cast on was the Catkin Shawl, but I was really struggling with it.  My hormones were messing with my brain and my mental focus was not up to the task.  It was really frustrating me and I even considered just giving up and dropping out of the camp, thinking that maybe the knit alongs with hard deadlines just wasn't my thing, too much pressure, not enough fun.  So I ripped out and put the yarn aside and went back to Lacy Angles and the Moving Cables Pullover.  But I just couldn't walk away.  After finishing up the pullover I started cruising Ravelry and doing pattern searches.

At first I thought about doing Taygete, from Romi's 7 Small Shawls.  I even printed out the directions and started knitting, but it just wasn't right.  The colors were wrong for that shawl.  The 7 Small Shawls were inspired by the Pleiades, also known as the Seven Sisters, and Taygete was a lovely nymph pursued by Zeus who was turned into a doe by Artemis to elude capture.  It didn't work, and Taygete later bore Zeus a son, Lacedaemon, the founder of Sparta.  The colors just didn't go with the whole nymph, woodland theme.  So I ripped again and went back to the computer.

Then I found Over the Moon.  It looked like a quick and easy knit.  It was a small shawl, but in one of my favorite shapes, and the name fit with the yarn.  The yarn is Dream in Color Smooshy.  The colors are Lunar Zazzle and Night Watch.  The knitting was easy, and the stockinette stitch lets the wonderful subtle variations in the Lunar Zazzle show themselves off.  The feather and fan lace border is dead simple and easily memorized.  And it was indeed a quick knit.  I cast on Sunday night and finished it up Wednesday evening, blocking it before I went to bed.

Here are a couple of beauty shots:

1 comment:

  1. I'm impressed! I couldn't imagine myself doing Camp Loopy this year, but you're making it look easy. Your first project was an amazing choice - I can't wait to see what else you come up with.

    ReplyDelete