Saturday, February 17, 2024

Fleece and Harmony - 2024 Mystery Blanket

Fleece and Harmony is hosting a mystery blanket knit along this year.  I picked up their video pod cast from Fruity Knitting, and I really enjoy it, along with their Harmony Reads video podcast.  I binge watched all of their older episodes and am caught up at this point.  I’ve ordered yarn from them for several projects, but had not actually worked with any until I cast on for this project.  The squares are supposed to be worked flat, but I am not fond of working Fair Isle flat so I decided to work in the round with steeks, figuring that I will back the finished blanket to make it even more durable.  I cast on with the needles recommended in the pattern (2.75 mm), and no, I did not work a gauge swatch.  I’m letting this be my gauge swatch.  I have no problem ripping back and/or knitting over again.  I love the feel of the yarn, but the fabric with this needle size is super dense.  So, after working nineteen rows I set it aside to think.  I grabbed needles the next two sizes up (3.0 mm and 3.25 mm), and will probably continue this as my gauge swatch, putting a locking stitch marker on the round I change needles on.  There are four sections of chevrons, so I can use a different needle size on each chevron section and just see how it goes.  Then I can cut the steek and block it and see if my plan to work in the round will work for the project.  I have already bought the yarn for the rest of the blanket, all of it, although I will have to get more of these two colors (A Night Without Stars and November Sky).  This is one of the January blocks.  The February blocks are already out.

Pattern:  Fleece and Harmony Mystery Blanket 2024
Yarn:  Fleece and Harmony Selkirk Worsted
Needle:  Size to be determined

No comments:

Post a Comment