Sunday, October 29, 2023

Sideways Knit - Finished!

I actually knit this sweater back in the 2006 timeframe, but never wove in all of the ends or blocked it.  Since then it has been hanging around in my studio, most recently occupying a corner of my cutting table.  This weekend I finally decided to block it and weave in the ends.  Typically I weave in the ends first, and then block, but given that this sweater is all-over rib I decided to block it first.  I also tried it on to make sure it fit before I tackled all of those ends.  Amazingly, it fit (I’m pretty certain that I did not work a gauge swatch), and even more amazingly it only had two holes from insect damage.  A larger one in one of the sleeves right at the cuff end, and a smaller hole in the middle of the front.  The hole on the sleeve I simply sewed up after catching the loop - the bug had taken out a column of stitches.  The hole in the body I was able to fix by weaving in new yarn (well, not really new, I used ends from the weaving in).  The collar I fold to the inside, as well as the cuffs of the sleeves, given that they are on the long side.  Turning the sleeve cuffs to the inside also hides my repair of the insect damage.  The yarn is a single ply, 100% wool, and does not appear to be superwash, based on the way the ends were already felting together.

Pattern:  Sideways Knit by Irina Poludnenko
Yarn:  Filatura di Crosa 127 Print
Needle:  US 8 (5.0 mm)

No comments:

Post a Comment