Thursday, July 2, 2020

The Journey - The Forest of Fear


I ended up knitting this section twice.  When I got done with it the first time I had second thoughts about the order of my skeins, and decided that I had accidentally switched skeins 2 and 3.  At first I wasn’t going to rip it back and redo it, but then I decided to as it also gave me the opportunity to use all of skein 1, switching to skein 2 when I ran out.  I had already done that for my switch from skein 2 to 3, well, really it was skein 3 to 2.  Here is my first time through.
I’m not sure if it makes a huge difference.  I’ve actually become rather ambivalent about this shawl.  On the one hand I really like the concept and the colors, on the other hand I’m a bit miffed that the kits don’t have enough margin to guarantee success.  You see, the way the design works, each motif is supposed to be in a different skein whose colors reflect the theme.  The original kits are available for pre-order and I did think about buying one, but the yarn is an Alpaca-Silk blend, and I really can’t work much with Alpaca, it makes my hands itch.  And even if I got another kit, there is no guarantee that I wouldn’t run out of yarn with that one.  The skeins come with 210 yards, the pattern requires 5 skeins, and the pattern lists the following required yardages:  A - 180 yards, B - 220 yards, C - 210 yards, D - 185 yards, E - 225 yards.  Right away you can see that there is going to be an issue.  I do have a feeling that the Alpaca-Silk blend will knit up to a tighter gauge than the Wool blend that I am using.

I have identified the additional skeins that I may use, depending upon the need.
The first and the third skeins are recent acquisitions, when Expression Fiber Arts offered the Mirage DK in one of their clubs.  I’ve already caked up the first skein, as I’m approaching the end of my skein 3.

Pattern:  The Journey by Jane Vanselous
Yarn:  Expression Fiber Arts Mirage DK in Arboretum Hues
Needle:  US 5 (3.75 mm)

No comments:

Post a Comment