Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Lizard Eyes - Finished!

I finished this up last Saturday and blocked it Sunday.  An eleven hour work day and storms prevented me from getting a beauty shot yesterday.  But I took today off (I have leave to burn before the end of the year), and got one this morning.  It almost does justice to the vibrancy of the colors.  

I am completely smitten by Rohrspatz & Wollmeise yarns and am already eyeing colors for another shawl.  I will do some mods on that one, chiefly I will not slip the first stitch of the rows.  A straight garter stitch edge is a lot easier to pick up stitches in.  I have ordered more 2.75 mm needles - one with a 24 inch cable length - I worked the body of this shawl on 16” cables because the only needle I had in that size was one of my sock knitting sets - and one with a 40 inch cable.  I had to use my Chia Goo interchangeable set to work the edging and my cable length wasn’t really quite long enough for comfortable knitting.  Plus the tips screw on to the cable, and I have problems with getting them tight enough that they don’t unscrew while I’m knitting - so I have to keep checking them and tightening them.  You do need sharp pointy tips for this pattern because there is a stitch where you are picking up the purl bump from a previous ridge.  It creates a cool textural effect, but it a bit of a pain to do.  I also used removable stitch markers a lot.  I used them to mark where to turn on the short rows in the body and the eyes, and also to mark where to work that stitch into the ridge below.  Counting before starting the row is a lot faster and easier than counting while you’re knitting.  I also worked German short rows instead of wrap and turn, so I knit the stitch that the pattern indicated I should wrap, and that is the one that became the “doubled” stitch when I turned and slipped it.

Pattern:  Lizard Eyes by Ursa Major Knits
Yarn:  Rohrspatz & Wollmeise Pure
Needle:  US 2 (2.75 mm)

No comments:

Post a Comment